VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy (QCF)
The VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy (QCF) is a substantial vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self-employed beautician/beauty specialist. This qualification is based on the beauty therapy National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK's leading professional bodies, The British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) and the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a junior beautician/beauty specialist.
Entry onto this qualification can be via previous attainment of a Level 1 qualification in beauty therapy and/or a successful skills test and interview.
Why is this qualification most suitable?
This is one of three VTCT qualifications in beauty therapy at Level 2. Whilst all qualifications qualify learners to become a junior beautician/beauty specialist, this qualification allows learners to gather evidence in a realistic working environment or real working environment without the need for fee paying clients. In contrast, the VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy General (QCF) requires learners to work in a commercial salon whereby assessments must be carried out on real paying clients in line with commercial service times. When compared with the VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Specialist Techniques (QCF), this qualification is smaller and more suited to delivery in a College of Further Education (CFE) as the substantial vocational component of a Study Programme.
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification has been specifically designed for the 16-19 age groups, and will develop the knowledge skills to prepare learners for employment as a junior beautician/beauty specialist. Learners will have their beauty therapy skills assessed in a real or realistic working environment.
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a junior beautician/beauty specialist including: facial skincare, waxing, eyelash and eyebrow treatments, manicure, pedicure, client care and health and safety.
Learners will further develop their understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional specialist units which include: the application of tanning techniques, applying make-up and instruction on make-up application, removing hair using alternatives to wax such as threading or sugaring, eyelash perming, ear piercing or the creative skill of nail art, reception duties and displaying stock- the full list of optional units is presented in the learners Record of Assessment book (ROA) (specification). This structure of this qualification provides learners with the flexibility to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills depending upon their designated career pathway as a junior beautician/beauty specialist.
Qualification Structure - from this group you'll need to cover a minimum of 4 units
Business practice for complementary therapies
Principles and practice of complementary therapies
Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology for complementary therapies
Provide reflexology for complementary therapies
Healthy eating and well being for the complementary therapy client
Career OpportunitiesCareer opportunities exist in a variety of contexts as a junior beautician / beauty specialist, including:
- Working in commercial beauty salons
- Working in a retail concession in a department store
- Working independently/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
Further Learning OpportunitiesWhilst this qualification's primary purpose is to prepare learners for employment as a junior beautician/beauty specialist, learners may choose to develop their skills further by undertaking Technical Level qualifications in beauty therapy at Level 3, these include:
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy General (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Studies (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Make-Up (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Massage (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Nail Services (QCF)
Progression opportunities also exist in the form of specialist VTCT vocationally related qualifications:
- Level 3 Diploma in Make-Up Artistry (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-Up (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Massage Therapy (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Spa and Body Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Fashion and Photographic Make-Up (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Swedish Massage (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Stone Therapy Massage (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Camouflage Make-Up (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Micro Dermabrasion Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Epilation (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Facial Electrotherapy (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Face and Body Art (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Massage Using Pre- Blended Aromatherapy Oils (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Lash Extensions (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Advanced (Intimate) Waxing Techniques (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Tanning Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Spa Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Nail Art (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Airbrush Make-Up (QCF)
The London School of Traditional Massage & Beauty
96 Martins Road, Shortlands, Bromley, Kent, BR2 0EF, UK.
Phone: +44 (0)208 460 1213 www.lstmb.london